Friday, October 12, 2012

Bucket List vs. Goals

What is the difference between my goals and my Bucket List? I have been thinking about this a lot this past month.  Weather it is because of my parents or my being here away from my everyday life I'm not sure.  Jeff will retire soon and we have had different ideas of what we want to do and where we want to go but we have never made any real plans.  We have not really worked toward any one thing.  So it has made me think and look (I have spent many evenings on the Internet while here.)

"Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans." - John Lennon -

"If you haven’t heard about the bucket list, a bucket list is a list of all the goals you want to achieve, dreams you want to fulfill and life experiences you desire to experience before you die."  This is from just one site  What's on your Bucket List?   I found many dealing with this subject.

Goals for me don't really seem to fit on my Bucket List.  They are part of every day life the way I think of them.  My goal today is too find the kitchen table so that maybe we can eat there tonight.  Lose 20 pounds.  Things like that.  Goals break down into parts and pieces so that you can put them on your to do list.  One if the ideas I found that I really liked was something like Jen talks about on her blog Jen on the Edge.  She sets goals one month at a time.

My Bucket List on the other hand is the bigger stuff the dreams and fun stuff I want to do one day.  I have for the most part done the big things I have wanted to do, going to Alaska, seeing a whale in the wild, not killing my kid before he was grown.  However I have been trying to make a list of the things I would still like to do or do again because I have been thinking about how often the everyday life stuff gets in the way of living. 

"Everyman dies. - Not everyman lives."   - William Ross -


 So I have decided that in the next few days I am going to write out my lists.  One of Goals and one my Bucket List.  I am sure I will have to add to them as I go along but, I am going to post them here on the blog - not to bore you all but to make myself ......
.............accountable for accomplishing them.

This has been a long post I hope I haven't put you all to sleep.  Oh and all the pictures are from the Olympic Peninsula in Washington and were taken this last summer while we were on a lovely little drive.

No comments: